Welcome to the Lancaster County Watershed Website!
This site is designed to promote and foster watershed protection efforts throughout Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- Chiques Creek Watershed Alliance Spring Clean-up Event
Saturday, April 26 from 9-11AM at Mummau Park (intersection of Route 772 and Rife Run on the West side of Manheim) Volunteers are needed to assist with an annual stream clean-up activity sponsored by the Chiques Cr. Watershed Alliance. Volunteers will be picking up trash and debris in both Mummau and Logan Parks, along Rife Run. Volunteers should dress for outdoor clean-up activities(long sleeves, gloves, boots, etc.). Refreshment will be provided to volunteers as well. Make it a great Earth Day by getting out and participating in an event close to you.
- Friends of Fishing Creek Annual Spring Cleanup Event
Saturday, April 26th from 9AM till noon, volunteers should meet at the Drumore Township Building (Furniss Rd.) Join local volunteers as they span out across the Fishing Creek Watershed valley looking for trash and debris to be removed. This is a great springtime family activity. Gloves, trash bags, and vests will be provided to volunteers so get out and get involved.
- Denver Borough Arbor Day Tree Planting Event
Saturday, April 26th from 9-11AM, at Denver Park (Denver) Volunteers are needed to plant trees in Denver Park as part of Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations. These will be large trees and volunteers will be needed once the tree is planted to backfill the tree hole. Wear appropriate tree planting attire and bring the family.
- Cocalico Creek Cleanup Event
Saturday, April 26th from 9-11AM, at Church St. (intersection of Cocalico Cr. and Church St., Ephrata) Volunteers are needed to assist with a streamside cleanup of trash and debris. Bags and gloves will be provided to volunteers. Wear appropriate streamside cleanup apparel.
- Cocalico Cr. Watershed Association Adopt-A-Highway Cleanup Event
Saturday, April 26th from 11AM till noon, at the State Game Lands parking area off Route 897 (Reinholds) The Cocalico Cr. group is looking for some adult volunteers to assist with their annual adopt-a-highway litter cleanup. Volunteers will be looking for trash on a one mile section of road the group maintains. Supplies will be provided to volunteers.
- Pequea Creek Watershed Association's Volunteer Tree Planting Event
Saturday, May 3rd from 9AM till noon at the Haines Property (913 Rawlinsville Rd., New Providence.) Join members of the Pequea Cr. group as they assist a local landowner improve water quality on their property along the Pequea Cr. Volunteers will be planting native trees and shrubs so bring a shovel, gloves, and your friends and family to assist. To register for this event or to find out more information contact Kara Kalupson, president of the Pequea Creek Watershed Association, or download the Planting Flyer.
- Great American Cleanup of PA
Runs March 1st through May 31st Registration is now open for the 2014 Great American Cleanup of PA. Event coordinators can visit the Great American Cleanup of PA webpage to register their event. During the cleanup period, registered events can get FREE trash bags, gloves, and safety vests from Penn DOT district offices. Events consists of littler cleanups, illegal dump cleanups, beautification projects, special collections, and educational events.
EVENTS & MEETINGS
- Donegal Fish & Conservation Association Meeting
Monday, April 21st at 7PM at Donegal Presbyterian Church (1891 Donegal Springs Rd., Mount Joy)
- Lititz Run Watershed Alliance Meeting
Tuesday, April 22nd at 4PM at the Warwick Township Municipal Bldg. (Clay Rd., Lititz)
- Octoraro Watershed Association Annual Dinner Meeting
Thursday, April 24th at 5:30PM to ?? at the Black Rock Retreat (Route 472, Quarryville)
- Lancaster Native Plant & Wildlife Festival
Saturday, April 26th from 9AM to 3PM at the Manheim Township Overlook Park, across from the Manheim Twp Library (595 Granite Run Dr., Lancaster) Want to learn more about native plants and local wildlife? Then visit the Lancaster Native Plant & Wildlife Festival sponsored by Habitat MT. This FREE event will have great presentations on beekeeping, native plants, landscaping, and many more topics. In addition, numerous local vendors and organizations will have informational booths setup throughout the grounds. There will also be kids activities, plant experts, a native plant swap, and native wildlife on hand. For more information on this event check out Habitat MT's website or the Festival Flyer.
- Ladies in Lancaster County Cold-Water Conservation Breakfast
Saturday, April 26th from 8:30AM to 12:30PM at the Millport Conservancy (737 E. Millport Rd., Lititz) Donegal Trout Unlimited would like to introduce their organization to women, daughters, and granddaughters of Lancaster County through a breakfast seminar. Participants will learn about coldwater conservation and local stream restoration. In addition, there will be fly-casting lessons and fly-tying demos preformed by Donegal TU members. This is a FREE event but registration is required by March 29th. To register contact Faye Haering or call her at 717-285-2572.
- National Drug Take-Back Day
Saturday, April 26th from 10AM to 2PM at various Lancaster County Locations The National Prescription Drug Take-Bake Day aims to provide a safe, convenient, and responsible means of disposing of prescription drugs, while educating the general public about the potential for abuse of medications. So while your doing your spring house cleaning, don't forget your medicine cabinets as well. For a Drug Take-Back location near you visit the National Drug Take-Bake Day website and search for a location close to you.
- Friends of Fishing Creek Fund-raiser Dinner at Isaac's Restaurant
Wednesday, April 30th from 5 to 9PM at Strasburg Isaac's (Strasburg) If you are looking for a unique way to help a local watershed group raise some funds for local watershed conservation efforts look no further then the Friends of Fishing Cr. Isaac's Fund raising event. Isaac's will donate 25% of the total cost of a meal to the Friends of Fishing Creek group on this night. If you purchase a gift card along with your dinner the group will get an additional 15% donated to them. Everybody needs to eat so why not help out a good cause in the process.
- 6th Annual Conewago Watershed Earth Day Event
Saturday, May 3rd from 9AM till noon at Aberdeen Mills (2405 Mill Rd., Elizabethtown) Looking for a great family event, check out the always popular Conewago Earth Day Event. The event has volunteer opportunities, educational learning areas, and outdoor hiking time as well. Take advantage of some or all of the opportunities. For more information on the event contact Kristen Kyler or visit the Conewago Watershed website.
- Cocalico Creek Watershed Association Meeting
Monday, May 5th at 7PM at the Cocalico Sportsman's Association Clubhouse (Sportman's Rd., Reinholds)
- Lancaster County Clean Water Consortium Steering Committee Meeting
Wednesday, May 7th at 3PM at the Farm & Home Center (1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster)
- Chiques Creek Watershed Alliance Meeting
Wednesday, May 7th at 7PM at the Rapho Township Bldg. (Colebrook Rd., Manheim)
- Lancaster County Conservation District Board Meeting
Wednesday, May 7th at 7:30PM at the Farm & Home Center (1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster)
- Millcreek Preservation Association's Annual Kids Fishing Derby
Saturday, May 10th from 8:30 to 11:30AM at Esh Farm (Gibbon Rd., Bird-in-Hand) Want to catch the big one this fishing season? Then have the whole family attend the annual MPA Kids Fishing Derby. This one-of-a-kind kid friendly event is meant to allow local inspiring fishing youngsters fish in their own little honey hole for some very nice sized trout. Different age groups are allowed to fish throughout the morning to catch their limit and prove their fishing skills. This is a FREE event but participants are asked to register once arriving. A FREE lunch will conclude the derby at noontime. This is a great way to expose your youth to fishing locally, check it out!
- Water Quality Volunteer Coalition Meeting
Wednesday, May 14th at 2:30PM at the Farm & Home Center (1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster)
- Little Conestoga Watershed Alliance Meeting
Wednesday, May 21st at 5:30PM at Farm & Home Center (1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster)
- Donegal Trout Unlimited Meeting
Wednesday, May 21st at 7PM at Farm & Home Center (1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster)
- Pequea Creek Watershed Association Meeting
Tuesday, June 3rd at 7PM at the Providence Township Building (Mount Airy Rd.)
- Octoraro Watershed Association Meeting
Tuesday, June 3rd at 7PM at the OWA Bldg. (517 Pine Grove Rd., Nottingham)
- Mill Creek Preservation Association Meeting
Thursday, June 5th at 2PM at the Ressler Mill Carriage House (Route 772, Mascot)
- Friends of Fishing Creek Kids Fishing Derby
Saturday, June 7th from 9AM to noon at the Valley Lea riding Club (Furniss Rd., Drumore) If you have children you need to take them to the Friends of Fishing Creek Kids Fishing Derby. This is a great event that includes trout fishing, prizes, horse back rides, games, and having fun in the great outdoors. Every year this event gets better regardless of the weather so try and come out and take part in this Southern Lancaster County classic annual event.
- Native Plants in the Landscape Conference
June 5-7 at Millersville University (Millersville) This very popular conference is once again back in Lancaster County. There are many new wrinkles and incentives to get more folks involved with this conference so check out the Conference Brochure for more information and how to register.
TIMELY FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
- The National Fish & Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) is soliciting proposals to restore the habitats and water quality of the Chesapeake Bay and it tributary rivers and streams. The Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund (CBSF) will award approximately $8 million - $10 million in grants in partnership with the Chesapeake Bay Program. The Request for Proposals detailing the NFWF's funding priorities and other key considerations can be downloaded in a NFWF Flyer. Proposals are due May 15th and must be submitted through NFWF Online Application Website.
- The Chesapeake Bay Trust is accepting applications for the Outreach and Community Engagement track of the Mini-Grant program on a rolling basis until funds are fully expended. Applications must be received at least 6 weeks prior to your project start date. For more information visit the Chesapeake Bay Trust website.
- Exelon's Environment Program supports projects that improve the quality of our environment; promote environmental education, conservation and preservation; develop cleaner sources of energy; protect endangered species; and beautify neighborhoods. Will fund projects located within communities where they work (ie Holtwood). For more information visit the Exelon website.
LITTLE CONESTOGA PARTERNERSHIP HEALTHY WATERSHED STORMWATER INCENTIVES PROGRAM